One of the highest rated Thai phrasebook apps on the Google Play Store
Available now for Android (iOS coming soon)
I created the video above to demo the app’s features, but also created some rather successful Facebook ads to promote the it. So far, the Facebook page has over 3000 likes and followers and I’m nearly at 5000 downloads for the paid version of the app. Here are a couple of those ads:
The ad above says, in Thai “Does your western boyfriend not understand you? Tell him to get this app”. I wanted locals pushing the app to their western partners. I targeted the ad to Thai females interested in travel or football (Thai women with western boyfriends often express an interest in football) between 18-40 years old. Result: ~2000 likes and ~500 new app downloads in 5 days for about $40.
Though not a dating app, I included a ‘romance’ category of translations and wanted to capture the hearts of those western guys, looking for a Thai partner, but struggling with the language barrier. I targeted this ad to males from several English speaking countries (as well as countries where English is a popular second language) interested in Thailand, between 18-60 years old. Result: ~1000 likes and ~500 new app downloads in 3 days for about $50.
Thai Talk aims to be the fastest and easiest to use phrase book app. It’s the only app on the market with all these features:
- High quality speech with NO internet connection required (unlike Google Translate)
- Common tourist attractions and useful places categorised by town/area
- Local emergency and other useful phone numbers accessible straight from the app
- Translations displayed with both Thai script AND romanised ‘karaoke’ pronunciation guide
- Bookmark your favourite translations
- Instant search results that update as you type
- Search in English OR Thai
- Voice search (hardware permitting)
- Alphabetised English-to-Thai AND Thai-to-English dictionaries
- ‘Slang’ section. Few apps bother to include any useful slang phrases
- ‘Isaan dialect’ section. Isaan dialect is rather common in Thailand, so it’s useful to know a little
- Copy translations to clipboard for messaging, Facebook, etc
- New phrases added regularly
The app needs NO special permissions, has NO ads, NO sneaky in-app purchases and is the cheapest of any comparable app. Don’t get stuck in Thailand without this app!
I’d welcome your feedback about the app.