I recently completed a large video production project for University of London, involving taking many of their universities’ courses online. The project involved taking raw (sometimes low-quality phone-filmed) footage of tutors delivering lectures, keying the footage, cleaning up audio, adding graphics and branding, etc.
The huge amounts of assets and people involved means the project needed a reliable mechanism of sharing assets and tracking amends. I created a network cluster to enable people working on the project to keep things up-to-date easily and an online kanban style board for tracking the status of all deliverables. This helped make the project feel more ‘agile’ and kept work flowing. I also encouraged WIP limits and elevation of constraints to reduce blockages, while the tutors were encouraged to involve themselves in the QA and feedback process as early as possible, to reduce amend cycle time.
I recently worked on this fun little music video. The brief was to take some green screen footage of the band’s lead members and find a treatment that works with the ethos and feel of the song. Since there was not a lot of source footage, I settled on blending the action with various archive reel footage, somewhat like we’re channel flipping a TV. Continue reading Everybody Deserves – music video→
Here’s a music promo I created using some special rotoscoping tricks.
The client wanted some kind of painterly effect. So, after doing a few tests, we settled on a style and started treating the footage. The first step was to chroma key all the shots, since I was planning to composite some together, later adding particle effects in front or behind the various layers.
Once everyone was happy with the edit, I dropped it to 10 frames per second to get a stop-motion look and processed each frame with a proprietary image processing algorithm, to get the painted effect (After Effects plugins weren’t quite doing it for me). The result is rather pretty I think.